Short Stay Accommodation

Planning requirements to host short stay and visitor accommodation in Tasmania may require you to apply for a permit from the relevant local council.

Please first check with the local council as it is best placed to provide advice suited to your situation.

Short stay accommodation refers to houses, apartments and other types of dwellings that are let out to paying guests for overnight accommodation, generally on a temporary basis and usually to people who are on holiday or vacation.

You do not require a planning permit if you meet the ‘home-sharing’ exemption, which applies if the dwelling is used by the host (as owner or occupier) as their main place of residence and:

  • the dwelling is only let to visitors while they are on vacation or are temporarily absent, or
  • visitors are accommodated in not more than four bedrooms while the host is living there.

For all other instances, a planning permit subject to specific planning requirements is required from the relevant local council.

Planning requirements may currently vary from council to council while the staged implementation of the single Tasmanian Planning Scheme is rolled out across councils.

The relevant local council will advise you what planning scheme is operational.

The planning requirements for visitor accommodation within the interim planning schemes and the Sullivans Cove Planning Scheme are set out in:

The planning requirements under the new Tasmanian Planning Scheme are set out in the State Planning Provisions part and any approved variation in the relevant council’s Local Provision Schedule:

More information: